These design studies were an off-shoot of related work on the journal Cancer Immunity (now combined with AACR journal, Cancer Immunology Research). I needed a more space-efficient mark for the journal. This work was outside the scope of my contracted project, so this work has never been used.
First I regularized the layout of the discs in the CRI logo. This facilitates manipulating the discs in groups and patterns. Their existing asymmetric arrangement is intentional, but I found the effect subtly disturbing.
Then I constructed a layout with type.
For the journal, I used the new construction but the original brick colour.
And then formulated different treatments for different uses, including the spines of journals and books.
I also explored what might be possible using the core idea to represent different initiatives the CRI undertakes.
I think these came out very nicely.